Monday, January 27, 2014

Big Drawings: Marathon 2014

The drawing marathon is over and the regular semester is starting. I suppose a bunch of things have been addressed recently, having to do with work ethic and how I want to be creating art. That's part of the brilliance of the pace which the marathon sets. For those who aren't familiar, the drawing marathon is a two week blitz of activity and productivity, where for about twelve hours a day, and sometimes even more, the group of those folks fortunate enough go into drawing mode, led by Graham Nickson. This marathon was physically and emotionally taxing, but at the end everyone's work was stronger and we had some pretty excellent drawings at the end of it. Here's a sample of what I've been up to recently. These images were edited with Gimp (which I literally downloaded and figured out how to use tonight), so the quality isn't necessarily reliable (in fact it's different in each one and certainly not true to life, but you get the idea). They're a completely different experience in person, especially considering the scale.




6'x5' acrylic, pastel, ink wash, and charcoal on paper

Red and Black Space, 39"x39", pastel and charcoal on paper.

Studio, 30"x30", charcoal on paper.

Studio twist, 39"x39" charcoal on paper.





No comments:

Post a Comment